Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Importance of Having A Good Tailor

"Wherever you go, you would need a good tailor. Or else you won't feel like home," my cousin used to say.

She was right in so many ways. If we discovered a good tailor, we would roam around the city like a bunch of happy monkeys, in packs, full of purpose. We knew who needed what and when and how much. The shopping for the so called dress material made us understand the city so better, and before we knew it, we were already started to feel a sense of belonging. 

Whenever we had a good tailor, we would also know how to convert mother's old sarees into a dress, or alter an old, frumpy maxi into a short, edgy mini. Since our wardrobes were constantly evolving, we would go out more, just because we had new clothes.

And every time I have to go to my hometown, it's never done till a visit to a tailor is ticked off the list. It is almost a ritual. To those who don't understand,"Well there is stuff only a good, trusted tailor can do."

I have been to many cities in my country and I know for a fact that finding a good tailor is easier said than done. This dress, for example is a byproduct of five not so lovely interactions with a tailor I am yet to understand.

Do you also think the struggle to find a good tailor is real? 

........................................... ...... 

 Please follow me on GFC and Facebook and Instagram if you like reading the blog.



4 comments:

  1. Intriguing a mystical relationship between tailor in days of ready made. You look pretty in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so right!
    I have the best taylor ever in Pune and pay him a visit every time I'm in India, but I was never able to find one I really liked in Mumbai...
    have a great weekend!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. How i agree with u on this, i have a tailor in Lucknow who has my measurements n i keep sending truck load of stuff thru my mom when i m not able to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking some time out to comment. I really look forward to them.