Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Writing in the times of scrolling

Do people read anymore? The number of books still being turned into movies, the bookstagrammers' cozy feeds, and the long-ass articles in major publications and magazines hint towards an affirmative answer. But when I look around, I see no one with a book. No one is looking for discounts on a book online, much less wandering around the streets of Old Delhi, trying to find a bookstore they read about somewhere. Most of the people I know haven't bought a book in ages. 

So why do I still write on this blog? Isn't a post on Instagram, or worse still, a reel gingered up with a trending song enough? What is the need to let my mind run at an athlete's speed to come up with a semi-decent fashion & lifestyle topic, thought-worthy enough to be followed by three paragraphs? 

I guess I do it because it comes naturally to me. A duck to water. Sarcasm to Chandler Bing. FRIENDS reference to millennials. Millennials to iced coffee. I also do it because I secretly hope to find less than ten people who care to read a random blog post. But mostly, I do it because every once in a while, it feels good to write something that looks a little different from whatever I write for my day job. For a semblance of preserved self maybe. 

............................................................................................................................................................

Please follow me on GFC and Facebook and Instagram if you like reading the blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking some time out to comment. I really look forward to them.